Monday, April 12, 2010

April Showers

April is already flying! Can you believe it? Sometimes I want life to slow down so that I can soak in every single second. Usually these are the seconds when I am with the people I love the very most. Or when I am eating a really delicious piece of chocolate cake. Er, just kidding. On the other hand, I find that when I am writing reports at work or doing the dishes or coming home to my empty apartment, I am eager for the moments to fly.
I am sure you are familiar with the saying "April showers bring May flowers." And of course, you know that sometimes we must endure rainstorms and cloudy weather in order to appreciate the sunny days filled with bursting beauty. Would you truly appreciate the warm embrace of sun rays if you constantly had access to them, or to 78 degree days? I have a wonderful friend who lives in California and she loves to give me weather reports in the dead of winter. Sure she is in flip-flops and I am huddled wondering if my reaching for my hot chocolate is worth creating a temporary window of vulnerability in my blanet fort. However, that first warm day of the year and the reminder that spring is on its way is always worth it. Likewise, if I never felt lonely or sad or worried, I don't know that I would be able to fully engage in the incredible joy that comes from being with the people I love, laughing or having something work out just right.
The next time you are feeling down in the dumps, remind yourself of this. Remind yourself that each hard moment is but one moment in a series of moments that make up your life. And this moment makes the other moments that much sweeter and that much fuller. Things tend to balance out but if you are very lucky, they won't quite balance out and you will wind up with more to be grateful for than to complain about.
If you are having a really hard time getting out of the dumps, please see the previous entry on Pity Parties! Then eat some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment